The GTM Supercar Build Log

Archive for the ‘Seats’ Category

Driver Seat Installed

Sunday, July 11th, 2010

What an absolute nightmare! If anything could go wrong, it did while trying to get this seat installed. As planned, I installed the FFR seat tracks to the seat using David Borden’s seat track mounts, as they are supposed to allow for the installation of the tracks without lifting the seat off the floor at all. However, once I got the tracks on and mounts installed, I set the seat in the car and realized there was no way for the lever to function to adjust the seat position (push down to release the track). I lifted the seats as high as they can go on the track mounts (David made them slotted out), and was able to get enough clearance, but this lifted the seat around 1.5″ and I didn’t like that. THEN while trying to adjust the seat the lever broke off the seat track. Quality welding by the manufacturer! At this point I threw my hands up and took the tracks and mounts off and threw them to the side.

I returned the next day to simply bolt the seat to the floor like I did with the passenger seat. Should have been easy enough since I already did it once before. Wrong. I don’t know what was up with with the fiberglass on the driver seat, but I had 4 rivnuts COME OUT of the seat while bolting it down. Once the rivnut slipped out the hole was way too large to place another rivnut. Long story short, I drilled at least 8 holes into the seat and floor of the car while crossing my fingers that the rivnuts would hold. Hours later, the seat was ¬†installed and harnesses clipped in. Excess holes were siliconed over.

Passenger Seat Completed, License Plate LEDs Wired

Saturday, June 26th, 2010

Today I finished up bolting the passenger seat in, and then wired up the license plate LED lights. The seat was a chore, as it took forever to get the bolts to line up perfectly with the rivnuts at the front of the seat. Also, since rivnuts and I get along so well, I ended up having to re-tap the rivnuts at one point since they got scuffed up trying to line up the bolts blindly. All good though, as the passenger seat is rock solid.

Afterwards, I soldered up the LED wires and connected them to some quick disconnect plugs and spliced those into the taillight wiring.

Passenger Seat Installed

Saturday, June 26th, 2010

Tackled the passenger seat tonight. To determine where to drill the holes for the seat I taped intersecting lines across the bottom of the seat where I wanted to mount the bolts (flat surfaces at the front and rear of the seat), then set the seat in the car and marked the carpet with more tape where the tape on the seat met the carpet. Pulled the seat, connected the lines, and then knew where I needed to drill the frame out. After some trial and error, I got the mounting points just right, then installed some rivnuts in the seat and set it in the car. I only had one bolt on hand long enough to bolt the seat down, so I will have to pick up some more at the hardware store later.