The GTM Supercar Build Log

Archive for the ‘Harnesses’ Category

Six-point Harnesses and Seat belts

Monday, June 7th, 2010

This was a fun project.  With the harness bar in place I needed to come up with a way to install the lap and leg belts. I was going to have Josh make some mounts, but then I decided to give the mounts I use in my Z06 a try. The harness mounts I used in the Z06 are Brey-Krause C5 lap belt mounts. They fit directly over the seat belt dispensers, and alongside the receptacles. I took an hour to pull them out, then set to installing them in the GTM. The driver side belt dispenser mount was used on the passenger side, and passenger side  mount used on the driver side dispenser. They work and fit great in the GTM. The receptacle mounts were swapped as well and moved to the ‘outside’ of the receptacle. I bent the receptacle mounts to fit the angle of the tunnel and then threw in the seats and sat in the car and strapped up to ensure everything works well.  When not in use I can tuck the belts behind the seat and pull out the regular seat belt.

Harness Bar Installed, Defrost Ducts Mounted

Saturday, May 29th, 2010

I received my harness bar earlier in the week and after having it powdercoated, I was ready to install it.  The harness bar (made by North Racecars) uses 2 mounting bolts on each side – one through the rear wall and into the 1″ frame the wall mounts to, and the already-present seat belt mount. I set the bar in place using the seat belt mount bolts, then drilled out the frame through the rear wall. Rivnuts then had to be installed for the harness bar bolts so I had to remove the fuel tank covers, engine covers, and one of the upper cockpit walls to get the wall out. Unfortunately, one of the rivnuts stripped out when removing the rear wall so I had to carefully cut the bolt head off to get the wall out, then cut the rivnut out. With that out of the way, and a good chunk of time wasted, I set in the new rivnuts and reinstalled everything. During the reinstall a rivnut in the wall for the passenger fuel tank cover stripped out, but I was able to get the bolt out and re-thread it with a tap. Good as new.  The harness bar, with the extra rivnuts in place, installed in about 30 seconds. Nice quality piece.

After doing the harness bar I riveted the defrost ducts in place on the center console.